Sunday, June 26, 2011

Where to put a design wall?

In the next few months, I'm going to be moving into my fiancĂ©'s house--which means that I get to redesign a sewing/craft/office room from scratch. I'm super-excited, and have been scoping out storage options at IKEA and reading up on organization ideas in a neat book I bought. The only problem is that it's a long, narrow room, and both the long sides have a sloped roof, which limits my wall storage space and will make it difficult to hang a design wall:

It used to be his "junk room." You can see he is still working on moving the junk. :)


We thought about maybe putting in a partial room divider flush with the closet next to the door--but that won't give me any space to step back from the wall, which is the whole point of it.

Does anyone have any suggestions, about the design wall specifially, or how to deal with sloped walls in general? I'm thinking of painting the top part with magnetic paint, if I can find it, to at least allow me to use that space to some degree.

2 comments:

  1. Why dont you talk to Deb H. Her room is a similar shape and she built/bought a free-standing wall that is on rollers.

    I had SO much fun designing my studio when my son was getting ready to move out. He finally got tired of me walking in with my tape measure and offered to move to the garage.....I almost took him up on it

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about a tension wire Ikea style, (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20079342) hung along one of the sloping ceilings? With clips on the wire you could hang a design "curtain". You could push it aside when not in use.

    ReplyDelete